|follow us at leadervalley||follow us at leadervalley||follow us at leadervalley|
Developing Cedar Valley Leaders of Tomorrow...Today!
The Leader Valley Talent Initiative is an effort to make the Cedar Valley a better place for students to excel and become well prepared for citizenship and their future careers. We feel this is achieved through high levels of community collaboration. Through Leader Valley, strong partnerships amongst Cedar Valley businesses, school district administrators and school boards, parents, and the community are being built.
- To make the Cedar Valley the best place for families to raise their children and for our children to excel.
- To assist educators in developing the essential life skills and characteristics to better motivate students to thrive in the 21st century.
The Leader In Me is a program offered through Leader Valley which incorporates leadership lessons into Cedar Valley school’s curriculum and everyday language. With reference to Dr. Stephen R. Covey’s book, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, this program teaches students about life skills, self-confidence, and accountability and also engages parents in the lessons.
Leader in Me Promotional Video
Click here to watch the video to learn more about Leader in Me and the initiative's impact on our students and community.
To train school level educational staff on the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and have them embed those habits into their school culture and classroom lessons so the student learns life lessons of the 7 habits at the same time as learning the normal school curriculum.
- Teaches educators and students timeless principles that transcend social-economic groups, race and religion so they have the life skills and self-confidence to succeed as leaders in the 21st century. (the missing link)
- Re-energizes teachers by integrating 7 Habits principles into the daily curriculum
- Raises levels of accountability and engagement among staff, parents as well as the students.
- Improves academic achievement scores.
- Decreases discipline referrals.
- Facilitate strong working partnerships between Cedar Valley business, our educators within each school district, parents and students in the communities Leader Valley is organized.
View the Rally in the Valley video here.
Click here to view the 2013 Leader Valley Task Force.
Leader In Me Schools
|Cedar Falls Schools||Waterloo Schools||Cedar Valley Catholic|
Dr. Walter Cunningham
|Blessed Maria Middle School|
|North Cedar Elementary||Fred Becker Elementary||NEW St. Edwards Elementary|
|Orchard Hill Elementary||Orange Elementary|
|Southdale Elementary||Hoover Middle School|
|NEW Poyner Elementary|
NEW George Washington
|NEW Kittrell Elementary|
Leader Valley Events
Leadership Event Opportunities
April 8: Becker Leadership Event (5:30-7:00pm)
April 10: Blessed Maria Leadership Event (4:00-6:00pm)
April 15: Southdale Family Leadership Night (5:00-7:30pm)
April 22: North Cedar Leadership Day (1:00-3:15pm)
April 25: Lincoln Leadership Event (1:45-3:00pm)
April 29: Orange Leadership Event (5:30-7:00pm)
May 1: Hoover Leadership Day (8:00-9:00 registration; 9:00-11:00am)
If you plan to attend any of these events, please RSVP to Melissa Reade at email@example.com or (319) 232-1156.
Leader in Me™ Symposium
Febuary 24-26 St. Louis Leader in Me™ Symposium
April 29: (TBA)
February 19: Hoover Achieving School-wide Goals (tentative)
March 4: Becker Achieving School-wide Goals
March 13: Good Morning Cedar Valley at Southdale Elementary
April 1: Strictly Business Expo- Leader Valley Booth/ Students
April 24: Waterloo Schools Foundation Breakfast
April 26: UNI/HCC 7Habits/LIM for Pre-service Teachers
May 12: PEO Speaking Engagement
Cedar Valley Schools Leader in Me Websites & Video Links
Student Leaders in Action
Fred Becker Elementary
George Washington Carver Academy
- Orange Elementary: A Blue Zones School
- Leader in Me webpage
- Leader in Me song (video)
- Leadership Night (video)
- 4/11/14, The Courier, UNI Nonprofit Leadership Alliance Student Association hosts luncheon Friday
- 1/30/14, The Courier, Leader in Me expanding in Cedar Valley schools
- 1/25/14, The Courier, School partners with business to recycle, provide student leadership opportunities
- 1/14/14, KXEL, radio interview with Dustin Odham of Franklin Covey
- 10/14/13, The Courier, Cancer diagnosis spurs students' service project
- 09/06/13, The Courier, Boys honored for herosim in dog attack
- 08/25/13, The Courier, Leader in Me Program Expands in Cedar Falls
- 08/16/13, The Courier, Business, education communities welcome new teachers in Waterloo
- 08/15/13, KWWL, Two Waterloo schools get donation for leadership program
- 08/15/13, video, Waterloo New Teachers Breakfast student speech: Sabur Muhammad
- 08/15/13, video, Waterloo New Teachers Breakfast student speech: Taj Shavers
- 08/15/13, video, Waterloo New Teachers Breakfast student speech: Ben Billerbeck
- 08/14/13, The Courier, Waterloo schools get $105,000 for Leader in Me program
- 08/12/13, Credit Union Times, CUNA Mutual Group, Veridian CU Support Program in Iowa Schools
- 08/12/13, Cedar Falls Times, Welcome, new C.F. teachers
- 08/11/13, The Courier, New Cedar Falls teachers welcomed at breakfast
- 08/09/13, video, Cedar Falls New Teachers Breakfast student speech: Mallorie Sckerl
- Partners in Education 4/28/13 edition
- 04/21/13, The Courier, Learning to Lead: Business, schools develop Leader Valley initiative
- 04/21/13, The Courier, Leader Valley Counsel an education/business partnership initiative
In the Works
Be Proactive (Habit 1)
Leader Valley Council
The first step in formalizing the Leader Valley Council is to establish the Leader in Me (LIM) Taskforce. The Leader in Me Taskforce will fall under the Leader Valley Council umbrella, as will any other initiatives that are championed. We are in the recruitment stages with the first meeting taking place yet this summer. The purpose of the LIM Taskforce will be advisory in nature and to provide direction related to LIM priorities (e.g., program development, communications/visibility, program evaluation).
Beginning with the End in Mind (Habit 2)
Leader Valley Priorities
We are continuing to refine the Leader Valley priorities. Related to Leader in Me, the priorities include: (1) program development—both improving and expanding our Leader in Me schools in the Cedar Valley, (2) solidifying school district commitment, and (3) program evaluation. Priorities related to Leader Valley center on: (1) executing a communications/visibility plan, and (2) formalizing the Leader Valley Council.
Put First Things First (Habit 3)
School Training Opportunities
From May through September, Leader Valley will be sponsoring 21 different trainings for school teams participating in the Leader in Me process during the 2013-2014 school year.
Think Win-Win (Habit 4)
7 Habits Training for Graduate Credit
A 7 Habits Signature Training will be taught by HCC and UNI faculty for 80+ Leader Valley teachers! Not only will teachers be investing in their own personal 7 Habits journey, they will be earning 2 graduate credits through UNI’s Continuing Education Department.
Seek First to Understand, Then Be Understood (Habit 5)
It’s an exciting time with Leader Valley and the momentum is building. You may have noticed more press on Leader in Me and Leader Valley. For a complete listing and access to recent press-related communications, please visit the Leader Valley webpage at http://cedarvalleyalliance.com/cms/220/Leader_Valley
Synergize (Habit 6)
Higher Ed Collaboration
Synergy at its best between the two higher education institutions! On April 20, 75 pre-service teachers from both UNI and HCC attended a 7 Habits introductory session. Taught by UNI and HCC faculty, college students were introduced to the world of Covey’s 7 Habits for college students and Leader in Me! A highlight of the event was having young North Cedar and Blessed Maria Middle School leaders present to the college students.
Sharpening the Saw (Habit 7)
Cunningham Leadership Day
Dr. Walter Cunningham School of Excellence held a dynamic leadership day on May 1. In attendance were 115 business, community, and civic leaders from the Cedar Valley and around the Midwest! It was a powerful expression of leadership on the part of these young Cunningham leaders!
Leader In Me Impact: By the Numbers
Current Leader in Me Schools (implementing or committed)
Current Leader Valley Districts/Systems
Current Higher Ed Institutions Partnering - UNI/HCC
7 Habits Workshops offered by UNI/HCC
Current UNI/HCC Student Teachers Trained
Current Leader Valley K-12 students Impacted
Current Leader Valley K-12 Educators Impacted
Target School Year for all 36 Cedar Valley Schools and 10+ Rural Schools Implementing
Projected Leader Valley Students Impacted by 2016-2017 and Beyond
Projected Leader Valley Teachers Impacted by 2016-2017 and Beyond
Leader In Me Resources
Leader in Me website: http://www.theleaderinme.org
Leader in Me overview (PDF)