The main focus of Government Relations activity is
economic growth and business climate improvement.
The Greater Cedar Valley Alliance & Chamber is the One Voice for Cedar Valley business to work with local, state, and federal governments. We establish a legislative agenda prior to the start of each Iowa legislative sessions. The Cedar Valley Agenda contains specific actions that will improve the Cedar Valley business climate and quality of life, or address specific situations for business. Throughout the year, the Alliance & Chamber tracks and brings to your attention issues that have an impact on your bottom line.
Subscribe to the Government Relations Blog , the direct source for government relations information.
2013 GCVAC Legislative Policy Agenda
The Greater Cedar Valley Alliance & Chamber has identified priorities in five main areas for 2013. They are:
(1) economic development
(2) workforce retention and relocation
(3) improving Iowa’s tax climate
(5) funding critical physical infrastructure construction
Follow legislative progress with the Bill Tracker.
- Gubernational & Congressional Candidate Forums.
- Host Legislators at annual Cedar Valley Legislative Reception in Des Moines.
- Host Legislators at annual Pre-Session Legislative Reception in the Cedar Valley, a networking format to increase personal interaction with legislators.
- Host Post-Session Legislative Forum Event
- Friday Forum - Monthly update with Legislators during the session
See our calendar of events for next Legislative Event
- Represents Business on Cedar Valley Coalition
- Collaboration with groups with similar interests
- 2011 Co-sponsored Iowa Education Summit.
- 2012 issues: Commercial/industrial property tax equity; protection of TIF; increasing talent pool; economic development incentives.
GCVAC participates in the Iowa Prosperity Project, a non-partisan effort to protect and grow jobs in Iowa.
GCVAC supports Fix the Debt, a non-partisan movement to put America on a better fiscal and economic path. The Campaign mobilizes key communities-including leaders from business, government, and policy-and people all across America who want to see elected officials step up to solve our nation's fiscal challenges.
“Our Government Relations is committed to ensuring a favorable economic, legal and regulatory climate for the business community. Our mission is broadly defined as supporting public policies that will facilitate economic growth and optimize the business climate facing our investors throughout the Cedar Valley.”
- Steve Firman, Director of Government Relations